This is a special recipe for both of us–it’s what started this whole journey. We bonded over our love for Sqirl’s Sorrel Pesto Bowl, and we sought to create our own version with a twist. The ‘Edible Flower’ as we call it.
Quinoa, kale, pesto, feta, hot sauce, and a poached egg. This recipe is true perfection, a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or dinner option. ENJOY xoxo
Quinoa Kale Pesto Bowl Recipe
Recipe inspired by SQIRL Kitchen, R2 Brown Rice Bowl. Serves 2
- 1 cup kale (you can substitute any leafy greens you like, such as basil, sorrel, mint, parsley, or use a combination of greens)
- 1/2 cup nuts (use any you like, a combination of walnuts, pine nuts, and almonds is a good choice)
- 1 lemon, plus zest of the lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pecorino romano (can substitute any finely graded hard cheese here, like parmesan)
- 2 cups cooked, warm quinoa
- Green hot sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled, good quality greek feta cheese
- 1 large radish, sliced thinly with a mandolin
- Salt (Maldon preferably), pepper, sprig of dill, and edible flowers for garnish
1. Fill a sauce pan with water, and keep on low heat
2. Make the Kale Pesto: In a food processor, combine kale, nuts, lemon juice, olive oil, cheese, salt and pepper, until finely ground, just before it becomes a paste, add more oil and seasoning if you think it’s necessary
3. Combine warm quinoa with the pesto, and mix to coat the quinoa thoroughly. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, and lemon zest to taste. Divide quinoa into two separate bowls. Top off quinoa with green hot sauce to your liking (be generous if you’re into spice, like we are!)
4. Just as the water in the sauce pan starts to bubble, turn the heat down, add a splash of vinegar to the water, salt, and create a whirlpool with a whisk. Gently slide in your eggs one at a time into the whirling poaching water. The water should not be boiling, and just warm enough to not burn your finger. Let each egg cook for about 4 minutes, with the top covered.
5. Gently scoop the poached egg out of the liquid onto a paper towel to absorb any excess water. Top each quinoa filled bowl with a poached egg. Sprinkle some salt (Maldon preferably) and freshly cracked pepper atop the eggs
6. Garnish the plate with sliced radishes, crumbled feta, and edible flowers (for beauty!) Serve immediately, and enjoy!
|Share the GLOW:||Share on Facebook Tweet Pin it Comment Email Us|