This dahl recipe is straight out of Surya Spa and is what makes the whole place smell so magical. It is soothing, healing, filling, easy to digest, and nutritious. This is our go-to meal when we want something simple and healthy. The ultimate comfort food.
Dahl is a split yellow mung bean. You can cook it for as long as you’d like, and the longer it cooks the better it tastes… and as Martha says, the more love put into it the better. Make sure to wash it very thoroughly, and always use organic dahl. 1/4 cup is a good amount for 1 person.
1. Stir 1/4 cup of dahl into 1 & 1/2 cups of water–ratio 1 to 6, a little less water if you like it thicker– and bring it to a boil
2. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes covered. You can take the foam off the top with a spoon as it rises. Put the heat on very low and stir every so often. But, make sure there is enough water so it won’t dry out.
3. Prepare the spices– In a separate sauté pan, add a tablespoon of organic ghee butter, and sauté it with the spices and cilantro (vata-pacifying, calming spices)
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp coriander
1/8 tsp fennel
4. Add this mixture to the dahl, putting a little water in the pan to get everything out if need be.
5. Dahl is delicious with white rice or brown rice, basmati if possible, and sesame seeds with sea salt on top. Enjoy!
|Share the GLOW:||Share on Facebook Tweet Pin it Comment Email Us|