Lamingtons are a traditional New Zealand / Aussie treat that we had the pleasure of tasting thanks to our Kiwi #glowgirl Emily L’Ami. It’s her Nana’s special recipe, so it’s really as good as it gets.
Lamingtons are heavenly. They’re squares of sponge cake coated first in a layer of chocolate sauce, then in shredded coconut. They’re traditionally served with fresh whipped cream and jam. In Emily‘s words, “this is my Nana’s recipe but I’ve added real chocolate to the icing because, well, it’s just better.” She served her delectable treats with fresh whipped cream and raw raspberry chia jam… perfection.
EMILY L’AMI’S LAMINGTONS:
- 1 1/3 cup (175g) flour
- 3 tbs cornflour
- 3/4 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 6 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 70g (2 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter (melted & at room temp)
- 175g (6 ounces) dark chocolate chopped
- 40g (1 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
- 2 cups (22og) icing sugar (sifted)
- 2 tbs cocoa powder (sifted)
- 2 tbs boiling water
- 3 cups desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- Butter a 23cm (9 inch) square cake pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Whip the eggs, sugar and salt together until glossy, thick and falling in ribbons.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Sift flour and corn starch together into a bowl.
- Fold flour mixture into egg mixture with a whisk.
- Fold in melted butter.
- Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Once cool remove from the pan and cut into squares.
- Melt chocolate, butter and milk over a pot of simmering water and stir until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in icing sugar, cocoa powder and boiling water.
- Dip sponge squares in the icing and then toss in coconut
- Place on a wire rack to set.
**Serve with freshly whipped cream and raspberry jam.
Make this recipe, instagram it, and make sure to tag @howyouglow // #howyouglow
|Share the GLOW:||Share on Facebook Tweet Pin it Comment Email Us|