Almond milk is a gift from the gods. We opt for almond milk mostly because it makes us feel better than drinking cow’s milk, and when we make it at home we know exactly what goes into it. See how to make almond milk three ways: vanilla, turmeric, and rose flavored.
The key to making almond milk at home is pre-soaking your nuts, aka “sprouting” them. Sprouting makes for easier digestion and removes the inhibitor enzymes found on almonds and most nuts and seeds– GLOW TIP: you should always soak your nuts before eating them in general! It’s best to place your almonds in a large bowl, cover them with a few inches of water, and let them soak overnight in the refrigerator. Once you’re ready to start blending or eating them, make sure to thoroughly rinse them off.
Use our Vanilla Almond Milk recipe as a neutral base and get creative with your flavors. Here we show you how to make turmeric and rose almond milk, but other great flavor additions would be: matcha, cocao, and lavender.
Making your own almond milk is a simple and easy way to make sure you’re always getting the good stuff!
VANILLA ALMOND MILK
- 1 cup raw organic sprouted almonds — soaked overnight (this step reduces the level of phytates and inhibitor enzymes, as mentioned above)
- 4 cups pure filtered water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 dates depending on how sweet you like it
1. Soak almonds for at least 12 hours in water. This breaks down the phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors and cultures beneficial enzymes in the almonds.
2. Rinse almonds well. Mix almonds with pure water, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, and dates in blender or Vitamix. Add in your extra flavorings here as well, such as turmeric, matcha, rose, lavendar, cocao or whatever you’d like.
3. Blend several minutes until smooth and creamy. The mixture will expand, so make sure your blender is not full before starting it.
4. Strain this blended mixture into a large bowl through a nut-milk bag, cheese cloth, or kitchen towel.
5. Pour your nut milk into a pitcher or glass jar, and store in fridge for up to 4 days.
TURMERIC AMLOND MILK— in STEP 2: Add 2 tsp organic turmeric powder
ROSE ALMOND MILK— in STEP 2: Add 1/2 tsp pure rose water (or more to taste), as well as 2 raspberries for color
Make this recipe, instagram it, and make sure to tag @howyouglow // #howyouglow
|Share the GLOW:||Share on Facebook Tweet Pin it Comment Email Us|